Education Article §2‑202 of the Maryland General Assembly Statute authorizes the appointment by the Governor of a student member of the Maryland State Board of Education. Approved in 1985 and amended in 2007, this legislation specifies that the Maryland Association of Student Councils (MASC) shall have the opportunity to nominate two students for the Governor’s consideration. One of these nominees will be appointed by the Governor to serve a one‑year term as the Student Member of the Maryland State Board of Education.
The responsibilities of this position are extensive, so students should read, research, talk to the current and former state SMOBs, and consider carefully.
Each public high school in Maryland is invited to nominate one student for this position. The student nominee must be regularly enrolled in a public high school, in good standing, and a junior or senior as of July 1, 2022.
Timeline of Deadlines:
Ensure all students have access to a world-class educational system that prepares them to graduate ready for post-secondary learning, rewarding work, and success in society and life.
Provide leadership, set policy, and advocate for continuous improvement of Maryland’s educational system to achieve the following:
• Assist every student to realize his or her potential.
• Develop and support a strong accountability system to increase academic success for all students.
• Promote a safe, healthy, and orderly environment for learning and teaching.
• Ensure educator and administrative effectiveness.
• Promote students’ physical, mental, social, and emotional well-being.
• Expand high-quality educational opportunities for students and parents.
• Work with districts to strengthen infrastructure.
• Increase communication and partnerships with stakeholders statewide.