Saturday, February 9, 2019 (snow day, February 16)
Location: Northwood High School (MCR)
919 University Blvd W, Silver Spring, MD 20901
On-site check-in 8:00-9:00 a.m.* / dismissal 4:00 p.m.
Registration opens Friday, January 11, 2019
Registration closes 11:59 pm, Sunday, January 27
Registration/payment postmarked/received electronically, Wednesday, January 30
Cost $25 per student/adult ($15 student trainers)
* Student member of the Board of Education (SMOB) candidates campaign during registration. It is an excellent time for delegates to personally meet the candidates!
The second major conference of the school year is the Legislative Session! Following our theme of the year, “Keys to Leadership,” delegates will be given opportunities to practice learned leadership skills, develop new ones, take stances on youth-related bills in the Maryland General Assembly, and participate in electing the final two candidates for student member of the State Board of Education!
Workshops that new delegates attend will focus on advocacy and legislative business that will allow them to learn about the student members around the state and at the state level, how the legislative process works, and discover how they can become involved. Returning delegates will participate in new workshops.
Throughout the day, qualified candidates from across the state will be campaigning for the position of 2019-2020 student member on the State Board of Education (SMOB). As a member school of MASC, delegates vote on which two candidates MASC will recommend to the Governor for his final appointment. Each candidate will deliver a speech of his or her composition and will participate in a question and answer period. During this time, delegates of the General Assembly will be able to ask candidates questions regarding their experience, platform, goals, ideas, and other appropriate topics that will help distinguish the top contenders.
The event will take place on Saturday, February 9, beginning at 9:00 a.m. (on-site check-in 8:00-9:00 a.m.) and ending at 4:30 p.m. Online registration opens on Friday, January 11, 2019, and closes at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, January 27, 2019. The postmark deadline for registration is Wednesday, January 30, 2019. The cost for this full-day conference is $25 per student/adult ($15 for student workshop presenters).
Important Information and Documents:
MASC will announce the candidates for Student Member of the Board of Education after the January 5th interviews.
Please note that candidates must follow all campaign rules! During the interviews on January 5, 2019, all candidates were given a copy of the campaign rules. Campaigning, as defined by the election rules (see link below) is, “The public statement of one’s candidacy to voting or non-voting delegates; the act of persuading voters to bolster one’s candidacy; the act of distributing materials directly related to a candidate by that candidate and/or the candidate’s campaign staff; any action that is directly related to assisting a person’s candidacy. Buying and preparing materials do not constitute Campaigning and Electioneering.”
• Legislative Session General Assembly Standing Rules (posted after approved at the Dec. 15th executive board meeting)
• Student Member on the Board of Education Election Rules (posted after approved at the Dec. 15th executive board meeting)
Registration: NOTE: The registration process requires each advisor to create an account for his/her school. This account will be used for each big MASC event. It’s quick and easy. Just follow the instructions on the page the registration link takes you to. (Once you have an account, you will use that for all of our MASC big events and have regular access to invoices, etc., all in one place! With a login, the registration process is clearer and quicker than before!)
• Registration is open through midnight, Sunday, January 27th. Be sure to fill out the Registration Worksheet (link below) then click HERE to register. Advisors only, PLEASE.
• Registration postmark deadline; Wednesday, January 30, 2019. Signed invoice AND payment (or payment guarantee) must be postmarked or submitted electronically by this date.
• Registration Checklist (RegistrationChecklist-LEG2019)
• Registration Worksheet (RegistrationWorksheet-LEG2019)
• Check out this tutorial: Registration Tutorial (from 2016)
• Check out the new resource: Registration FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) (from 2016)
• Emergency Form: adults & students (EmergencyFormLegSes2019 pdf file) (EmergencyFormLegSes2019 Word file)
• Emergency Procedures (email to Karen.Crawford@mdstudentcouncils.org)
• Agenda (LegSes2019Agenda)
Certified student presenters are invited to apply to be a workshop presenter at the Legislative Session. Only MASC certified/recertified presenters should apply. After completing the workshop presenter application, when the regular Legislative Session Registration opens, workshop presenters will work with their school’s advisor to be properly registered for this event at a discounted registration fee.
• Workshop Presenter application – (closed)
• Workshop Presenter Agenda TD#1 and TD#2 (LegSesTD1-TD2agenda2019)
• Training Day #1 Agenda (January 5) Shady Grove MS
• Training Day #2 Agenda (February 7) Northwood HS
• Workshop Presenter Checklist
• Workshop Presenter Emergency Form (see Emergency Form above – must bring to training day #1)